5.29.2002

This isn't news news, but I just wanted to record it for personal posterity....

Weary, Bush mocks reporter -- The Washington Times

PARIS -- President Bush yesterday derisively challenged press claims of widespread anti-Americanism in Europe and ridiculed an American TV correspondent for suggesting as much -- in English and French -- to him and French President Jacques Chirac.

"So you go to a protest and I drive through the streets of Berlin, seeing hundreds of people lining the road, waving," Mr. Bush muttered to NBC News White House correspondent David Gregory during a joint press conference with Mr. Chirac.

"I don't view hostility here," Mr. Bush said in the ornate Palais de l'Elysee. "I view the fact that we've got a lot of friends here."

He added: "And the fact that protesters show up -- that's good. I mean, I'm in a democracy."

Mr. Bush was responding to Mr. Gregory's question about anti-American demonstrations in Germany, Russia and France during the president's visits to these nations since Wednesday.

"I wonder why it is you think there are such strong sentiments in Europe against you and against this administration?" the reporter said. "Why, particularly, there's a view that you and your administration are trying to impose America's will on the rest of the world, particularly when it comes to the Middle East and where the war on terrorism goes next?"

Turning to Mr. Chirac, he added in French: "And, Mr. President, would you maybe comment on that?"

"Very good," Mr. Bush said sardonically. "The guy memorizes four words, and he plays like he's intercontinental."

"I can go on," Mr. Gregory offered.

"I'm impressed -- que bueno," said Mr. Bush, using the Spanish phrase for "how wonderful." He deadpanned: "Now I'm literate in two languages."

Roars of laughter filled both the press conference room and a press filing center elsewhere in the city, where many members of the White House press corps were watching the exchange on live television.

Turning serious, the president spoke of the strong bond between most Europeans and Americans.

"Look, the only thing I know to do is speak my mind, to talk about my values, to talk about our mutual love for freedom and the willingness to defend freedom," he said. "And, David, I think a lot of people on the continent of Europe appreciate that.

"There's a heck of a lot more that unites us than divides us. We share the same values; we trade $2 trillion a year," he added. "I feel very comfortable coming to Europe; I feel very comfortable coming to France. I've got a lot of friends here."

"Sir, if I could just follow," the reporter began.

"Thank you," Mr. Bush shot back dismissively.
I know the traditional press model in the US is adversarial in nature, but I can't help but notice the editorializing in this news report, as well as in Gregory's questions. Bush "mutters" and replies "sardonically." He's described as "weary," etc.

And look at Gregory's question, questioning not just Bush's plans, but presenting the attitude and opinion that Europe opposes all Bush stands for and proposes.

Lovely retort from Bush, though. "Que bueno!"

No comments: