8.19.2002

Let us rewrite history



While perusing old mail, I read in last week's (!) Best of the Web a little piece referring to this article in ArabNews, so I had to go read for myself. (Eek, such a habit.) And I read:

Suddenly you notice that all these exotic and diverse places have one thing in common, they were bombed by Brits and Yankees. These guys sure get around. Today we bomb Afghanistan, tomorrow the rest, or whatever they sing in the Air Force. The reasons vary. They had bombed China for the stubborn Chinese did not want to buy their opium, Colombia, for they were selling drugs, Russians and Vietnamese, for being Commies, Cambodians, for being there, Germans and French, for offending Jews, Iraqis, for hard cash and Sudanese by mistake.
What were the "exotic and diverse places"?

Marseille, Brittany, Oriente, Milan, Naples, Shanghai, Archangel, Berlin, Hamburg, the passes of Hindukush, Tokyo, Baghdad, Manila, Havana....

Egads, for the most part he's recounting Allied targets of Nazi occupation during World War II. Bombing China because they didn't want to buy "our" opium? The stuff grows best in that neck of the woods, so why would we sell it to them? I suppose I don't understand the reference, shame on me.

But the rest, what nonsense. It's as though they were never military targets, just places that "offended Jews" wanted annihilated.

I should be thanksful, I should. You couldn't make up better stuff than this.

Good point about Sudan, though....

No comments: