7.09.2002

And Ms Pot, what color is the kettle?



This is just too rich. Best of the Web has a link to this story, about a British academic that fired two other scholars for the high crime of being Israeli, shame on them. She said:

Despite a storm of complaints raised by her action, Prof Baker stood by her decision, telling The Telegraph: "I deplore the Israeli state. Miriam [Shlesinger] knew that was how I felt and that they would have to go because of the current situation."
All the while I'm reading, I'm thinking that this Professor Mona Baker would be the first to howl if someone were to do likewise to her, just because, say, she's British. Lo and behold, further into the story:

She [Prof Baker] alleged that since the sackings she had been the victim of a hate campaign.

"My husband and I receive hate mail every day, up to 50 [letters] a day, some of it extremely obscene," she said. "I can't read it out it is so obscene and very threatening. It is also sent to my university, to my vice-chancellor and to some of my colleagues, and they threaten people who want to stay on the board. The Americans are the worst offenders.

"There is a large intimidation machine out there which is waiting to intimidate anyone that it doesn't approve of."
So, she engages in intimidation and blatantly racist behavior...and is appalled when it happens to her. Shocking, I say, simply shocking!

No comments: